Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Thinking Ahead: Meal Planning

It isn't always fun being on a super strict budget.  In fact...it really stinks!  But a great friend gave me some smart advice.  He said..."What can you do today to make tomorrow more predictable?"  Genius!

So, one thing I can do is to plan out a two week menu plan and shop for everything I need, right when the paycheck comes in.  Then, no matter what craziness ensues, I'm not going to be worried about what my family will be eating.   Plus, by pre cooking a lot of it, dinner is super easy to throw together! 

I've been doing this for a few months and thought I would start sharing my menu and some recipes with you.  I plan 14 meals, but not necessarily the days I will make them.  It depends on what mood I'm in every day.  I've included links to most of the things on the menu.   I'm not a strict recipe follower...I'm more of a fly by the seat of my skillet girl!  But I will attempt to post my recipes and pictures throughout the week as I actually make each meal.

Here we go.....

Greek Meatball Pita Sandwiches
Clam Chowder
Curried Coconut Chicken
Thanksgiving Casserole with Chicken
Kalua Pork with Cilantro Lime Rice
Pulled Pork Tacos (Using leftover Kalua Pork)
Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Asian BBQ sauce (Using Leftover Kalua Pork)
Italian Meatloaf with Smashed Potatoes
Navajo Tacos
Broccoli Beef Stir Fry
Chili Dogs with Fries
Tuscan Brick Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Tiny Spicy Chicken with Vegetable Lo Mein

Today, I will cook a pot of pinto beans in my pressure cooker. When they're done, I will divide them and make Chili with half of them for the Chili Dogs and Green Chili Beans with the other half, for the Navajo Tacos.

When I grocery shop tomorrow, I will buy a really big pork roast and slow cook it.  I will divide the meat into three parts, and freeze, to use for the Kalua Pork, Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Pork Tacos.  Cook once....use THREE times!  :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT IDEA THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way Anonymous is ME (Lori)

Nikki said...

Hey girlie, I just sent you the new invite to the one I had listed. Margiebgood Let me know if you do not receive it.

Ruben said...

First of all, thank you.
Thank you for investing in parents by blogging about your experiences on A Dramaqueen’s Guide To Life, and sharing your faith openly.

Please know how incredible this is. And be encouraged to keep going.

I hope and pray that even more Christian parents (as well as non-Christian parents looking for answers) will find your blog and will be inspired by your experiences, solutions and struggles.

We recognize that these are incredible times to live in, where technology allows parents around the world to encourage each other. As for ourselves, we use technology to reach out to children globally.

We’re developing the world’s first videogame that takes kids through the Bible from beginning to end. Our hope is to increase the love for God’s Word amongst kids.

We dream to see fathers and sons going through the Bible together, having fun as they become part of David’s army, spend time in the fish as Jonah, and play level after level, leading up to Jesus’ death and resurrection.

Our prayer is that after kids finish the game, they will have an awe of God, and a deep love of the Bible; eager to read it for themselves. We believe that kids can read the Bible, no matter their age (as long as the translation fits their reading level, of course :D ).

In order to steward this immense project well, we’re building relationships with parents like you. We like to ask your input by allowing you to look behind the scenes, have your kids play demo game levels before they go public, etc. You may also recommend a few people you think would be of interest.

Additionally, we can provide you with plenty of interesting “blog-food” (concept art, images, etc) if you feel that this could benefit your subscribers.

If you’d like more information, shoot me a quick reply to the email address below.

Ruben
Reply to: connect (at) tornadotwins (dot) com