Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Test Results...Finally!

I went back to the Immunologist today for allergy testing and to get my lab results. The allergy tests came back negative for everything but CATS! (I knew this...evil beasts! lol) But my lab results were the real kicker.

She had done tests to check out the antibodies my body should be producing to fight off infection. She said the low end of the "normal" range will show that your body produces antibodies to fight off 70% of the known yuck that is out there. My body produces less that 2%. This isn't great news, but at least I know that there is a "reason" why this is happening.

So, there are a few "next steps". The first was to get a Pneumonia vaccination. She said that this will sometimes jump start the body into making the needed antibodies. So I got that today. I will have another blood test in a month to see if that works. If it doesn't, we'll try the shot one more time, wait another month, then another blood test. The next step is long term antibiotics. (I pretty much have been doing that, right?) If that is unsuccessful, I will need to get monthly blood transfusions to replace the missing antibodies. (Doesn't that sound delightful? But if it works...I'll do it with a smile on my face!)

Basically, my body is continually trying to fight off infection that it has no chance in killing. So it never is getting the time for rebuilding and rest. Which is why I'm so exhausted and run down. It looks like a long road ahead, but at least we are doing SOMETHING!

9 comments:

AZMom said...

Oh wow Erica. Well, at least, like you said, it's a start and you know what the issue is. Now we just need to stand by you while you get it fixed. I'm here for you and if there is ever anything I can do, let me know. :-)

I'm glad you went in and had all these test done! Hopefully the shot will work!!

Nikki said...

That is bad news but good at the same. I am glad you finally know what keeps causing you to feel so yucky.

Kristina P. said...

It's always nice to at least have an answer, so you know what to do.

Hang in there!

Lissaloo said...

At least there are some things they can try! I hope this starts getting better for you :)

Tamara said...

Hi Erica,
Before you have doctor put things in your body that man made, I would like you to try something and see if it works. But you have to have the mindset and determination to do it. Go to sprout and buy this detox tea, call "Flor Essence" take it for 21 days, then go on a fruit and veggies diet of greens for 10 days. Meaning no meat nor carb. You can do this, I promise everything will be fine, and it's all natural. Girl,I can help you!!!
I promise you will be back to your self in no time without any medication.
Let me know if you need the help or willing to try this... God Bless

Amy said...

Sheesh!! That all sounds like a lot of STUFF! Monthly blood transfusions???? Crazy! I hope it gets resolved before it gets to that. I'm glad, though, that you know what the deal is with your body and that you're starting on the path to get things taken care of. In the meantime, I hope you feel better asap.

Jaime said...

Wow, that is crazy. At least you know what's going on. I too hope you can get it all done without monthly blood transfusions. But whatever works and makes you feel well!

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I will be praying for you. I have been sick with sinus and some kind of bug. I pray you will find yourself getting better and better.

Mandi said...

wow. that sounds exhausting and frustrating. I am so glad you got some answers. I hope it works!