Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Post Is Not About Obama

I celebrated Innaguration Day by boosting the economy at the grocery store.

We are like everyone else and are trying to tighten our belt buckles. So, to do my part, I am going to attempt to spend only $300 a month on groceries. $150 every two weeks. This will not be easy, but I'm up to the challenge. I will post my savings each month to keep track of how I do. (I will also occasionally post pictures, but not today. I was totally wiped out when I got home after battling all the snowbirds for cans of cheap Chunky Soup! I've got to remember to go shopping after 6pm when they're all in bed!)

Last night, I hit Albertsons, twice. My first trip, I spent $45 on $113 worth of groceries for a savings of 60%. Then I came home, printed off some more coupons and sent Clinton back where he spent $9 on $40 worth of groceries...78% off! FABOO!

Today, I went to Fry's. It took FOREVER, but it was worth it. I spent $94 on $233 worth of groceries...60% off. I also decided to give CVS a try. I have heard really good things about figuring out how to work the Bonus Bucks. I purchased seven 12 packs of Pepsi Products which came to $21. (Dave will be so happy! Finally...some Diet Pepsi!) I used my $5 bonus buck coupon, which brought the total to $16. My receipt printed out a $10 bonus bucks coupon. So, the seven cases actually cost only $6...total.

My total....$154. Not Bad. Will it last us for two weeks? I'll let you know....

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

When we were first married, I used to cut coupons all the time, and go to multiple stores. We don't do that anymore, and man it was a lot of work! But, if we had to, I would definitely do it again.

Lissaloo said...

That's awesome! I love when you go through the checkout & find out you saved more than you spent.Sounds like you scored big :)

Jenette said...

WOW! That is awesome!! I love your blog by the way!! HUGS!

Nick and Aubrey said...

wow...


I NEEEEED coupons. lol. like NOW. We've been without groceries for a week because we only have $33. And you cant get enough with 33 to make it worth it. At least I thought.

I could get like a months worth of food with all the coupons you have!

Josh and Cori said...

So do you do the grocery game? Heck, if you can do $300 a month, I could do that I guess. My boys aren't too big yet-they don't eat me out of house and home. I will be excited to see how you do!

AZMom said...

Where do you get coupons? I had nothing this week and spent $65! However, it was $89 worth of groceries.

Lavinia said...

Hi Erica. I commend you if you can meet that goal. Wow, I know if anyone can do it, you can. It's downright frightening what it costs to feed a family these days. I keep an eagle eye peeled for the savings, the bargains, the specials....

giddymomof6 said...

WAHOO! You go girl! I love challenges like this! They make it fun! LOL! And I SOOO miss the great shopping in Phoenix! I can't wait until we're back in the states and can actually get competitive prices!

Romney family said...

holy moly! I had to take my phone in to read my husband your post after I saw this. Ok, he wasn't as excited as me at the money you saved. not sure why. LOL. but that is so awesome. so... wanna share your secret coupon place? I might need to save lots of money for when this new baby gets here.