Monday, July 14, 2008

Tonight's Family Home Evening

Since The Bear will be turning 8 in six months and can be baptised, we decided to do our Family Home Evening tonight about the things we need to do before we are baptised. Dave started off the lesson with the Fourth Article of Faith from our church:

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We talked about how Jesus was baptised and how we need to follow his example and be baptised also. In order to be baptised, we first must have Faith. How do you explain Faith to a seven year old?



One of my favorite Primary songs is about Faith:

Faith is knowing the sun will rise, lighting each new day.
Faith is knowing The Lord will hear my prayers each time I pray.
Faith is like a little seed, if planted it will grow.
Faith is a swelling within my heart, when I do right, I know.

We told him that to have Faith in Jesus Christ is to know that he is there and that he loves us, even though we can't see him. This is something that I know to be true. I believe in Jesus Christ and can feel his love and guidance in my life on a daily basis. There is a song I often think about that helps explain the testimony I have in Christ. It was written by a woman named Janice Kapp Perry.

I know God lives. I know He loves me.
I know He hears me and He answers when I pray.
I know His Son is my Redeemer,
And that He died for me that I might live eternally one day.
I daily drink, of living water,
For He has promised those who drink shall thirst no more.
I daily feast upon His teachings.
In perfect Faith I'll grow because I know His promises are sure.

I hope I can teach my children in a way that they will be able to develop Faith and a testimony of their own.

Stay tuned for next weeks topic....Repentance!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

It is crazy that he is going to be 8. We did ours on Faith tonight.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Wonderful post. I honestly don't know how people can get through life without Jesus. I would feel like I was in the middle of the ocean in a rowboat with no oar, and a tsunami headed straight for me...