Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Senior Pictures...Not For The Faint Of Heart

This morning I went with Clinton to have his Senior Pictures taken. The school is contracted with a certain studio, so you have to go there in order to have your picture in the yearbook. As is usual, they have each kid bring along 3 changes of clothes plus a prop that represents them. Clinton brought his drums, of course.

The picture for the yearbook has to be formal, so I had him wear a white shirt, tie, suit jacket and slacks. You know...it does a mother's heart wonders to see her son in a suit! He cleaned up really well. After that, he changed and had the rest of his pictures taken. I haven't had a school picture of him for the last two years, (I forgot it was picture day mom!), so I was really looking forward to these pictures. He smiled and everything.

Then, before you leave, they give you the brochure with the prices and tell you they'll call you in a week to look at the proofs. I about fell over. Seriously. Their packages range from $129 (the yearbook pose only...2 5x7's, 8 wallets) to $771 (8 poses, various sizes). In order to get a copy of all the shots taken in a digital file, you have to spend either $700 (for low resolution files) or $900 (for high resolution files). What the holy stinkin crap?!? $700?? $900?? Are they kidding? Do people really pay this much for pictures? Have you?

On our way home, Clinton was pointing out that they are only contracted with the "rich" schools. So, what about us normal families? Are we just screwed? It makes me really angry. I almost don't even want to go look at the pictures, because I know they'll be good and I also know I won't be able to get them.

I have been really wanting a digital SLR camera, but the $800+ price tag is WAY out of my league. For the price of those pictures, I could buy a camera and take them myself! Sheesh!

9 comments:

Jami said...

That is outrageous! And I'm even trying to get in the biz. :) I have been watching prices a lot lately, and have found that no matter how good I get, I don't know if I would ever feel comfortable charging nearly as much as most people charge. I completely agree with the photographers that say "it's an art and you're not just paying for the photographer, but also their time and experience etc." But I also know what it feels like to want some really great pictures of my kids, and not be able to afford them. Who knows...maybe I'll never make any money even when I get clients, because I'm just too nice. But I can think of a lot of things worse than that. :)

I so badly want to come out there and take pictures of your family. You'd get a way better deal from me, I promise! And I could get you great prices on prints from the lab that I go through.

I've got to figure out a way to get there!!!!

Strider said...

Man, that's steep! I've had 3 kids through high school so far and have only spent about $900 total! Well, good luck....it doesn't seem to get much cheaper as they get older! Blessings!!!!!...and hang in there....

Nikki said...

Hey girl I got my done outside of school and submitted one for the yearbook etc. My friend Marcie is a great photographer and she charges a flat fee then gives you the disc and you make as many copies as you want at Costco cheap. Let me know if you are interested I will e-mail you her number. She does all of our pic

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT---I REPEAT MOST FORCEFULLY---DO NOT PAY THAT OUTRAGEOUS PRICE!!!

I would be on the phone so fast to the principal of that school and make my opinion of that photo scam loud and clear........

Drama mama, take your handsome son to Sears Portrait Studio and get everything a whole lot cheaper...

Dave said...

uh... we hate Sears photo studio... they screwed up some really good pictures by adding effects to them, and they did it to the originals so they couldn't remove them. We haven't been back since. At least they were cheaper.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

That sounds so crazy. I would have to pass on them. I'm sorry all these things are so stressful and it makes you wonder how people sleep at night. I guess on a wonderful expensive bed. It's just terrible.

Jaime said...

Oh this is just sick. Our senior pictures were just normal pictures they take at the school...same as in elementary. I cannot believe that price.

AZMom said...

That is outrageous!!!

For that price, take him to Kiddie Kandids (yes I am serious) and have them take them. You can get a CD of the pics for a heck of a lot less!

Darce said...

That's awful! I like the idea of calling the principal and/or yearbook adviser and complaining. That is just not right!