Monday, June 30, 2008

You say potato, I say potahto...

For today's project, I am canning potatoes. Out in Queen Creek, there is a potato farm that sell 50lb boxes of new, fresh potatoes for $10 a box. They only sell them through the end of the month...today. So I talked to my sister in law this morning and she was kind enough to pick some up for me on their way into town today. I asked for 2 boxes. 100 lbs of potatoes. Now...I'm wondering if that was a great idea. I have potatoes coming out of my ears! They are VERY easy to can, the waiting is the hardest part! Wait for the water to boil, wait for the pan to come up to pressure, wait 45 minutes while they process, wait for the pan to cool down before we can open it. Just over 2 hours for each batch. I have done 2 batches today and will finish another one before bed. Oye!

But, don't they look pretty!

8 comments:

Nikki said...

That is a whole bunch of potatoes. I am going to try that. Where do you buy the potatoes at?

nanatrish said...

Potatoes are a wonderful food. They have kept many of us alive during tough times. I love that you have all the supplies for canning. You go girl! My mom used to can and I loved watching her in the basement working for hours and hours with vegetables and fruits. What all are you going to do with 100 lbs of taters? I am curious.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

I never knew you could can potoatoes. How do you cook them in the months to come, do you fry, roast, mash, or just heat in the microwave?

You are a very good homemaker, I am amazed at your resourcefulness.

sallygirl said...

Yes, how exactly do you can potatoes? Do you boil them first? And how/what do you use them for after?

Di said...

You would think they would have some big a*s jars so you could put a lot more in there!

AZMom said...

Wow. I had no idea you COULD can potatos. How cool!

Jami said...

I didn't realize you are by Queen Creek. I read a blog by a lady in Queen Creek. She is Holly's (Sunshine in My Soul) sister. She and her family are totally into canning, and she has a separate blog for canning. Her blog is http://www.bloggingwithmindy.blogspot.com/ and her canning blog is http://www.youcancan.blogspot.com/

XUE said...

i didn't know that you could can potatoes either! Like Lavinia Ladyslippers, I too wondered how you would use canned potatoes eventually. I look forward to a future blog-post on this : the adventures of the canned potatoes, where they go to after being canned !