Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On A Roll...

Since I already had my huge canner out, I decided I'd try to do some pinto beans. I had heard that they were really easy! I was a little nervous to use the pressure canner, but it was a piece of cake! No explosions or anything...although the sounds are a little nerve wracking. I have my 3rd batch in the cooker now. That's a total of 20 jars...done! Well 21 including the one we ate last night to see if the beans were really done. And they were! And yummy too!


Here's the VERY simple recipe if you'd like to give it a go!

7 quart jars with lids and seals...sterilized
Into each jar, put in one heaping cup of dry beans (washed and picked), I used pinto. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbs dehydrated onions, 1 clove crushed garlic (just smack the clove with your knife, peel it and throw it in). Fill with hot water leaving 1/2 inch head space at the top. Cap and seal jars, shake them up and put them into the pressure canner. Cook at 10 psi (15 psi if your altitude is over 1000) for 90 minutes. Start timing when your pan comes to pressure and the pressure gauge starts to rock.

That's it! No soaking! No pre-cooking! The hardest part is listening to the spewing noise from the pressure cooker and waiting!

I think this burst of domesticity is taking a toll...I woke up this morning with a horrible headache. Good thing I can go lie down while the beans do their thing...OYE!

5 comments:

AZMom said...

Sounds yummy! Glad it is going so well.

Okay, I have a dumb question...what are you preparing for? I see the prepardness progress on your website but I must have been a bad friend who missed the post explaining it. ....insert red face here....

Hub's surgery was today. I posted an update on my blog. I've been MIA..sorry about that! I was sicker than a dog on Monday and then today just snuck up on me!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Wow....you're amazing. Sorry about the headache though...I hope you have a few tricks up your sleeve for headaches.

My headaches were dramatically and immediately reduced as soon as I stopped drinking diet pop. I quit cold turkey many years ago and haven't touched the stuff since.

I have never done any canning! So embarrassed to admit that....but canned beans (precooked) are pretty cheap up here. I stock up on all kinds; black eye, kidney, black, chick peas, and lentils. I throw them into homemaked soups and stews. Beans are so nutritious.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

I forgot to add, romano beans too; they are very good!

By the way, I bought stewing beef the other day and realized that today was the "best before" date, so *had* to cook it, but you know, it has to be simmered for a long time to get tender. So what to do; I obviously could not serve it for tonight's supper...

I threw it in the slow cooker and am cooking it overnight. I try to use my slow cooker only during the day; but sometimes circumstances force me to use it at night...which I don't like, because the aroma of cooking food keeps the dog up; he thinks some tidbits are coming his way any minute..... :)

SalGal said...

So how do you eat the beans? Is this burrito fare? I need a mental picture of the meal...

SalGal said...

My SIL said that a pressure canner turns peaches and salsa to mush. What the heck to you use a pressure canner for, besides beans? And meat? But I'm not canning meat. That is just wrong with a capital GROSS!!!