Monday, May 12, 2008

Domesticity...again

Today was my grocery shopping day. I took my Aunt Barbara with me and we headed off to the store, coupons in hand. This week's savings was pretty good, but not a personal best. I purchased $308 in groceries for $118...a savings of about 60%. On the way home, we stopped off at the vegetable market to pick up a few things. They had their vine ripe Roma tomatoes on sale, 2lbs for $1. What a deal! So I bought a 25lb box.

Tonight I am making spaghetti sauce which I will can tomorrow. I have cored, peeled and crushed all the tomatoes. I have also chopped 4lbs of onions, 4 heads of garlic and 5 sweet peppers. It is currently on the stove, cooking away, in two of my largest pots. I'm thinking of turning it to low and letting it simmer all night. In the morning, I'll add tomato paste, sugar, salt and some fresh basil from my garden. I hope I get enough jars to make it worth my effort. It's a real pain in the rear! lol

If it turns out, I'll post some pictures tomorrow. (Oh please...let it turn out!)

3 comments:

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Dramaqueen, its driving me crazy...how is it that you get al these groceries for reduced prices? Is it simply coupon clipping and weekly sales?

Reading your post has made me wish I had eaten spaghetti for dinner. That sauce.....sounds divine...

SalGal said...

Can you hook me up with some of whatever it is you're smoking? I wish I had your energy/stamina/domestic godessness in the kitchen!!!

Jaime said...

I am impressed with your spaghetti sauce undertaking. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm so backwards in the kitchen, it's sad.