Monday, March 31, 2008

A Burst Of Domesticity

This morning, on my trip to the Superstition Ranch Produce Market, I found 1 lb clamshells of strawberries, 2 for $1. What a great deal! And, they were beautiful! So, I brought home 8 lbs and made jam! YUM! I got 9 1/2 pints out of six boxes and have two left over.


Don't they look pretty!?! Go me!! Now, I have to play the waiting game...Will the jars seal? (I just heard one "pop"!) Will the jam set up?? Ooooo...I hope! I've never made jam before and it will be great if it turns out. Don't you love the color? I experimented and used balsamic vinegar in place of the lemon juice in the recipe. I love sliced strawberries with sugar and a little balsamic, so I tried it out! Totally delicious!

Update: I finished off the last three boxes of strawberries and threw in a container of blackberries! I got 5 more pints out of it! All of the jars from the first batches sealed, (yay!) and I stuck the 1/2 jar in the fridge to try and "hurry" set it. It set up pretty well, and is now almost gone! I think the family likes it!

6 comments:

Sharr said...

holy crap!! that was an ambitious day!! i totally expected this to happen in a day or two! but not you, you just went home and got right to work! let me know how it sets up! looks absolutely beautiful! makes me want to hit farmers market tomorrow... i want to try the sugar free kind.... hmmmmmm

Billingsley's said...

Congradulations! I love making Jelly and Jams! It gets addicting once you know how.I am so happy for you...Toast in the morning.

Josh and Cori said...

WOW! Berries are pretty abundant over here, so I hear. I know that come early August, you can pick blackberries all over the place-just on the side of the road! Will you send your recipe this way? I am dying to make some jam this summer, but it seems a bit intimidating. Strawberries and balsamic? Sounds yummy-I'll have to try it!

SalGal said...

You know we're supposed to share our abundance, right?

How about sharing some of that over my way??? ;-)

Amy D. said...

WOW! I am so impressed! I've never made jam before, but your recipe looks pretty easy - like maybe even I could do it. You should teach a class at enrichment or something.

Becky said...

So gorgeous! Way to go, Erica!

P.S. I am getting caught up on reading your blog...you have a foreign exchange student? How neat! Sounds like you have been having a lot of fun lately and are doing well... will you be at the CTMH party at Allison's on the 12th?