Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Twilight Books.....(small spoiler alert)



This week, I read all three books in the Twilight Collection by Stephanie Meyer. So many people I know have read, and fallen in love with these books. Knowing that my surgery and long recovery was coming up, I had Dave buy me the series for Christmas. Several days after getting home from the hospital, I dove in, anxious to see what all the hype was about.

I did not love them. Am I crazy? Am I completely a non-romantic? I know this is young adult fiction, but so many sane adult women I know have read these books and loved them. Not me. I found the main character, Bella, to be so whiney; "Please, turn me into a vampire...wah!" Come on! It was so annoying to me. And Edward, her vampire boyfriend....he is a total stalker! Never leaving her alone, sneaking into her room every night so she could sleep in his cold, granite arms. BLAH! And...he's a total pedophile. So what if he looks like he's seventeen. He's something like 100 years old! It's sick and wrong!

I went ahead and read all three books, but they just never seemed to get better for me. They were pages of blah and whining, followed by small sections of drama.

Ok all of you....let's discuss. Why do you love these books?

9 comments:

SalGal said...

I'm so gobsmacked I can't speak! I loved these!! Maybe consuming them all in one sitting didn't go well?

Billingsley's said...

I have always wanted to read them. Everyone I know loves them. I am glad maybe they are not all that is cracked up to be.

AZMom said...

I've never heard of them! LOL Does that count? I am glad to see you on here again. I hope you are starting to feel better. Just remember to continue to Pamper the Princess. Call me if you need anything, okay!

I will get around to calling you..I promise!

Hugs,
AZMOM

Jami said...

Yes, you are crazy! Just kidding. But seriously, I love them. I can't even explain really why I love them so much, I just do. Sorry you didn't enjoy them more.

SalGal said...

Did I mention that the kid that plays Cedric Diggory in the HP movies will be playing Edward in the movie??

Sharr said...

lol this is soooo funny! all my girls i teach at church think these are the GREATEST books ever! and last month when i was Visiting teaching, my partner said she was totally addicted, and i've since heard several other adults that LOVE them! lol... i've wondered myself, but i can totally see me having the same attitude you do! lol.... how funny!

peebugg said...

I own one of them.... but have yet to read it. I live vampires but not mushy wimpy people...

So...I think I will leave it on the shelf and not stress...

Thanks for the clue...

How are you?

Di said...

I am wondering if I have read those, not sure. Hey, that is why there are all kinds of writers out there. If we all liked the same one's...

Too bad you expected to be happy to read them though, that stinks!

Becky Porter said...

Well...I suppose the raw emotion, the romance, the fabulous understanding of how teenagers think, the suspense, the intense action scenes, and the way she ties in so many other great books I've read could be just a few of the reasons :)

But everyone is different and it is a bummer to read a book that you don't like! Hope you are recover well, Erica...