Monday, June 25, 2007

The Great Duck Rescue

I had just left the house this morning to go walking with my aunt. As I got to the end of the street, here comes a mama duck and her babies, crossing right in front of me. I then noticed that two of the neighbor ladies were standing there, trying to shuffle them across. I rolled down my window and the older lady came over, visibly upset, and said she couldn't believe that someone would run over a baby duck. I looked over and saw a tiny duckling on the other side of the street, flailing on it's back, and calling for it's mama. So sad! The mama duck was on the opposite side, quacking heartily at here baby to shake it's tail and join the others.

I explained to the lady that the school bus would be rounding the corner any time to pick up the kids, The Bear included, for summer school, and that the driver probably wouldn't see the duckling till it was too late. The lady started freaking out and her daughter ran in the house for a box. I then remembered that I had some plastic gloves in my first aid kit, so I pulled them on and approached the duckling. As I picked it up, it jumped out of my hand and ran towards the van, stopping right underneath it, smack in the middle. Along comes the bus, we moved it just in time.

I laid down on the pavement and reached under the van, and off went the duckling again, but not towards it's mom. I managed to corner it, pick it up, and take it to it's mother. We cornered them in a neighbors yard and the daughter went to call animal services to remove them to a safer location. I headed on my way to the mall for my morning walk.

The ducks were safe! Hooray! I hope they were able to help the little duckling. It was hurt, but not too bad.

Such an exciting adventure for first thing in the morning!

5 comments:

Di said...

Good for you! So scary. I used to pass this little (tiny really) lake in a neighborhood on the way to work. There were always ducks crossing there. Sometimes when I would stop to let them cross, some fool would come speeding down the street. Luckily none of them ever got hit (that I saw). More people need to stop and help out like you all did!

Dave said...

WOO HOO for Honey!

Katherine said...

Yay for you! That was so wonderful you saved the little guy/gal. I hope you're feeling better.

SalGal said...

No Disneyland. Not this time. Just swimming a lot at my friend's house. She lives in a park where the city sets off its fireworks.

peebugg said...

So cool....just gotta make you feel good...