Tuesday, April 17, 2007

pain and drugs

Disclaimer: I am writing this while on some serious pain killers. If it doesn't make sense, that is why.


Hello friends. This is another chapter from "All Doctors Are Jerks", a continuing, yet unfortunate part of my life. Here's the scoop on the lastest...

I have been feeling, "not right and not good", for awhile now. Not the normal tired and crappy...but the next level, "let me lay here in bed forever." I went to my "family doctor" last week. She sent me for blood work and had me schedule an ultrasound for the weird abdominal pains I've been having. They couldn't get me in for the ultrasound until Friday....almost 2 weeks away.

Fast forward to Sunday. I had a little nap after church and woke up with a really bad headache. The worst I've ever had. The kind that feels like something is stabbing you in the eye from the inside. It was so bad, I just laid there and cried. I took one of the migraine pills the dr had given me, then another, then another. I woke up at 3am. The headache was back, along with stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen. It was a toss up which was worse, the head or the side. I took more pills, got a heating pad, and fell asleep, only to wake up with the same pain.

So, Dave and I headed of the the ER, after we got the boys off to school. There were only three people in the ER when we got there, miracle of miracles. They drew blood right away, then we waited and waited. 2 hours before getting a room. After 4 trys, they finally got an IV going. I was a wreck by this time. They gave me a shot of morphine, then the Dr came in. He said he hadn't looked at my tests yet, but suspected that there was nothing wrong with me. Then he went out, read the tests and came back in. Good news he said, there is nothing wrong with you. Mind you, he never did an exam of any kind. He poked me in the stomach once, that's it. He said it wasn't "anything serious" according to the bloodwork. He said he wanted to talk to my regular Dr, and left. We sat there in the "room" for a LONG time, no one ever came in. My head and side started up again and Dave went out to find a nurse. They said they'd send one in. 30 minutes later, Dave went out again to see if I could have an icepack for my eye and something, anything for the pain. Tylenol would have been fine. No one came it. 30 minutes later, Dave started stalking the halls, looking for our nurse. When he found her, she said she'd be in in a minute. She never came. Eventually, another nurse came in. By this time, I was crying with pain. She gave me another dose of morphine and told us that they'd been trying to call my dr for over an hour and she wasn't calling back. I told the nurse what the dr had said and asked if she thought I might have an ovarian cyst, or something else "female" related. She said she would voice our thoughts to the dr. About 45 minutes later, another nurse came in. She was there to "check us out" as in, we were told to leave. She said the Dr said to take painkillers this week and go in for my ultrasound that was already scheduled. That's it. No tests, no exam, nothing. I left the ER, barely able to walk due to the pain/morphine. And now, I have to sit tight for 4 days, waiting for Friday.

There it is. And here I am...completely loaded on Percocet and feeling like crap. As soon as the office opens, I'm calling a new OB/GYN to see if I can get in. I'll let you know how that goes.

I have a theory as to the behavior of the ER doc, but my head is feeling swimmy right now, so I'm going to lay down. Maybe I'll write it up later.

5 comments:

Di said...

BASTARDS! I bet when they are in pain, they don't do that. You should get to charge them for your time wasted. BASTARDS!

Get better!

SalGal said...

Moley Hoses!!! Total bastard!! He wants to talk to your regular doctor... meaning, he doesn't want to miss his tee time dealing with you. ASS!!!! Sorry, I'm really trying not to curse any more, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em!

I'm sure you've already had a blessing and stuff, but just in case you haven't, WHY THE HECK NOT???

peebugg said...

I would say he needs to have his head examined....but it would be a rectal exam....

Hugs to you...

Bree said...

That is SO CRAPPY! I hate the "nothing's wrong" from doctors. "HELLO? No, I just come to the ER for kicks." Here you are in dire pain and they just leave you in there for hours only to send you home. That makes me SO mad!

Tatiana said...

Have you figured out what is causing your symptoms? I am have the same exact symptoms. Sharp pain in my lower left side and swimmy feeling in my head! They never find anything but i am going to have them check my thyroid since we have family history of it. Let me know at tatiana_kalil@yahoo.com