Monday, February 19, 2007

Update...again!

We are in the home strech for our "extreme makeover home edition". The carpet came in on Friday and Saturday, and the guy is here to install our tub/shower this morning. We (I) am in the process of emptying boxes now. The POD is cleared out and should be vacating our driveway sometime today. Everything is looking SO AWESOME!!

Here are a few highlights from the last week....

I bought a beautiful, oversized couch, chair and ottoman from a crazy lady from craigslist. She had it WAY, WAY underpriced. I got all of them for $350. She could have probably got at least $800 for them, but her loss is our gain! They are SO comfortable too!

I am exhausted from painting. I HATE PAINTING! I still have to finish the upstairs hall, Clinton's room, the upstairs bathroom and my bathroom. I don't really want anyone else to do it, for fear of spilling paint on the new carpet. We had hoped to be finished with all the painting beforehand, but it just didn't happen. I got up at 5:30 Friday morning to paint Dave's office before the carpet guys got here.

There has been one snag after another with the whole bathroom issue. We basically just wanted the carpet taken out from in front of the tub and tile put in. The carpet was pulled and we found ugly linolium underneath, which had to be scraped off. Then we found out the tub needed to be replaced to to cracks in the bottom, (caused by a huge hole in the concrete underneath that we later found.) Then we searched all over for a same size tub to replace it with. (garden tub) The only ones we found that size were whirlpools for $$$. So we're putting in a regular size tub, extra deep. Of course, all the plumbing had to be moved, and on and on. I just now found out some of the pipes will have to be moved again.

On Thursday, as we were rushing to finish the paint, I walked into the front room and saw a bird crawling underneath our screen safety door. Instead of crawling back out, it took to flight! I started screaming for my sister in law, who is very brave. (Birds totally freak me out!) She started going after the bird with a large piece of cardboard, trying to shoo it out. It flew straight through the house, hitting the window in the family room. It then flitted about, knocking a few things off of a high window sill. Finally, it flew out the front door. As we were catching our breath, we noticed a large smear of gunk on my beautiful, newly painted wall. IT WAS BIRD POOP! IT TOTALLY CRAPPED ON MY WALL....IN THREE PLACES!

Anyway, there are many more adventures I won't bore you with. It's almost time for those before and after pictures. Stay tuned!

9 comments:

SalGal said...

I'm so glad to hear it's almost done and that it's gone so well! You go, girl!

Dave said...

The bird crap on the wall was like the excalamation point on this whole year. Just when you think you've finally reached the end of your rope, a bird craps on your head.

Chicka said...

Bird crap is supposed to be good luck!

peebugg said...

Bird Crap.....could be a new Mosaic!!!

Way to go on the couch.....

I had the same shock on new bathtubs...

and...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Katherine said...

Can't wait to see the pictures! I hate painting, too. And if a bird crapped on my wall, well, that would be the end for it and me.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Erica.

Ed

SalGal said...

HEY! How come I didn't know it was your birthday?!?! Geez... now I'm the crappy friend...

P.s. Bird crap is only good luck in Italy, didn't you see "Under the Tuscan Sun"?

peebugg said...

How is bird poop good luck??? I need to know...

drama mama said...

I need to know about the good luck thing too...because it hasn't been for us. My deep freeze just went out yesterday. Crap.