Monday, November 06, 2006

A "Foodie's" Thoughts On Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where you, or at least I, want it to be just like it was when I was growing up. The same food, the same traditions. When you're married, you have the task of combining traditions from 2 different families and trying to make them mesh together.

For the last several years, our family has had Thanksgiving dinner with my family, well, just my mom and dad. This works out great for me. I plan the menu and cook everything myself. I like this system. I love to cook Thanksgiving dinner. I love searching out fun recipes to try, along with the old favorites. This might be really bad to say, but I like the way I cook things. I make them taste like Thanksgiving to me, and I've never had a complaint.

This year, we are staying here and having Thanksgiving with Cheez's family. We're really excited about it, because there are some family member coming that we haven't seen in awhile. It's always good times when we all get together. Because of the number of people, we are doing food assignments. I have been assigned stuffing. I make a mean stuffing! But it might not taste like "Thanksgiving" to everyone. It isn't the normal stuffing many families have come to expect. For example, it has pecans in it. YUM! Well, I know for a fact that one of the visiting family members won't eat pecans. So do I leave them out?

It makes me crazy to alter my recipes. I'm not sure why. "We love your potato salad, but will you make it without onions?" NOOOOOOOOOOO...I want to scream! My special potato salad has onions! And my special stuffing has pecans...and apples and sausage! (ok...I really should have eaten lunch....I'm SO hungry!)

I think the solution will be to have my very own Thanksgiving the week before. Yes...that sounds like the plan!
A little pre-holiday mini feast!

Have I told you that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday???

(I know that this shouldn't be all about me and what I want. It's really not. I'm just so very grouchy. 3 weeks of pms is enough to do any girl in. Really, I feel like I'm loosing my mind. And my family isn't too happy about that!)

9 comments:

Bree said...

I say you make it the way you want it. If someone doesn't like it that's perfectly okay! I'm just so impressed that you make all that stuff...and you enjoy making it! :O)

Domestic Goddess said...

I agree with Bree. Make your stuff how you like it. If they like it they will eat it, if not, oh well. You will.

Wish we could be there.

Sean Carter said...

Well Thanksgiving is all about family fun....and sometimes these lead to some complicated situations. Well I hope nothing of that happens to you. And hey you can also find a lot many useful suggestions and resources over at my Thanksgiving Blog. So visit soon and don't forget to leave your thoughts. Have a great time!!!

G.W. Mama said...

Sounds like fun having family in for the holidays! How about making your recipes the way you always do, BUT having some on the side that doesn't have pecans or onions, etc? That way EVERYONE can enjoy it and no one will be running to the hospital with allergic reactions or whatever the reason is they don't like onions or pecans (LOL!)! Hee hee!
Take care! Love ya!
Jody is muddy mississippi

Katherine said...

Oh, I know just what you mean. Since I got married we've been alternating holidays. Of course I don't like how his mom makes anything because it doesn't jive with my memories. But hey, who the hell eats cranberry sauce out of a can anymore?? I love, love fresh homemade cranberry sauce and how my mom makes stuffing. Your recipe sounds great by the way. I was going to tell you not to leave the pecans out for just ONE person, I mean, they can pick them out, right? But, your solution sounds great and will keep the peace. You're a nicer chick than me!

SalGal said...

I vote for you making it however the hell you want to and just not giving a list of ingredients, or making half the batch with and half the batch without the nuts. It can be girl and boy stuffing, just like my mom's fudge!

Dave said...

I found a really big sack of marbles under the bed honey... are they yours? ;)

peebugg said...

I think the pre "family thanksgiving" is an awesome idea. I am cooking a turkey and stuff even though we are going to my parents. I love the way the house smells...

And it CAN be all about you, you are people too....

AND IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

peebugg said...

OH, i forgot...

If they don't like onions or pecans...they can pick them out!!!

It wouldn't taste the same without them even if you don't eat them!!