Friday, October 27, 2006

Art Masterpiece

Our school district has a great program called Art Masterpiece. I have agreed to be one of the "guides" for The Bear's school. I think it's a great program, but I'm not sure I'm the one to do it. In my mind, I would be helping kids with art, but after attending my first training session last night, I found out it's not that at all. Starting in December, we go into the classes every two weeks and present a work of art to the class for them to learn about and discuss. I'm talking "real" art; Picasso, Van Gogh, Gauguin (hear "Gogah" yes, I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years too.) , Modigliani (come on...you've got to be impressed I remembered that name!).

The man who was teaching us last night is an "art" person, in every form of the word. He has visited museums from the time he was born. (His parents were artists.) He was "super charged" with art energy and information, and was TOTALLY into it. He picked up one print and held it to his chest, not showing it to us. He then told us that we was deeply moved by this painting and could feel the pain and depression the artist, Mark Rothko, had while he was painting it. Then he showed us the piece. It had a peachy colored background with one large yellow, and one large orange rectangle. That's it. Nothing else. And the man was not kidding when he said it affected him emotionally. I could tell. He truly connects with all the paintings.

I think that's great. But, that's not me. I am not an "art" person, I'm a "crafy" person. Beyond knowing what I like and don't like, I know nothing. They assure me that being knowledgeable is not a requirement, but wouldn't being a complete idiot be detrimental?? We are to teach the kids about line, shape, form, color, value, texture, space. "Huh", you say? Me too. And I will be discussing the above with Kindergarten children.

Cheez would have been the logical choice for this assignment. He is an artist. He has attended art classes. He enjoys art. But, he cannot be away from his job during the day. So...there you go.

Wish me luck friends! I'm sure there will be more art posts in the future!

PS. After reading Jill's post yesterday about proper sentence structure, I am very conscience about how bad my writing really is. I apologize for any mistakes. I'm sure there are many! (What's a gerund anyway??)

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I love art and all... but being emotionally connected to rectangles? Yeah... whatever.

peebugg said...

I think you are Dougie!!!

and good luck with the art thing...I hope you don't end up being more "manly" than your teacher

Dave said...

I bet he enjoyed playing with boxes as a child.