Friday, July 21, 2006

Perspective

Has there ever been something that you really, REALLY wanted..but you just can't figure out a way to get it?? I have been going through this for the last several months. After much research, I decided that It would be a good choice for me to have Weight Loss Surgery. I read up on all the pros and cons and decide the risk would be worth it. I have been on so many "diets" and "eating plans" that I can't even count them. I have failed, failed, FAILED at all of them. Each time, I would loose a little weight and then gain back more. All of this failure really brings a girl down. If you have never been overweight, and I'm not talking 10 or 20 pounds, you just can't understand how it is.

Anyway, several months ago I started the process by attending a meeting at a the hospital and having a consult with my surgeon. I signed up for all the pre-op classes that were mandatory to attend. Then...I received the letter from my insurance saying that in no way do they cover the surgery...even if I jump through a thousand hoops. The maddening thing is that others on my same PPO insurance have had the surgery. I guess the policy that Cheez's employer signed up for just doesn't cover it. Then, I heard of a Dr. in Colorado that does the surgery for A LOT less. So much less that it made me wonder about his competency. Well, the lady who said she had the surgery there assured me that the amount she quoted was correct. Then, yesterday, after emailing the Dr's office, I received the cash price...over $25,000 dollars!!! Yeah....let me just write you a check! I again sank into depression....why does it seem that some people are able to get the things they want, but it never seems to work out for me???

Last night, Cheez and I had an routine appointment with our Bishop over at the church. As we drove up, there wasn't a single car in the parking lot. We thought he was running late, so we just parked right in front. We then noticed that there was a homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk, right next to the church's front door. He was huddled into the little bit of shade the building was provided. (In Mesa yesterday, the temp got to 114) When he heard us park, he woke up startled and started gathering his things. I motioned for him to go ahead and stay, and he went back to sleep. Cheez and I were worried that he was there in the heat, so we drove over to the McDonalds and bought him some dinner and lots of water. We headed back and Cheez got out and gave him the dinner. He was SO appreciative, and he told Cheez his name was Richard. Just then, someone drove up to tell us that the Bishop was sick and wouldn't be able to make our meeting. We kind of didn't know what to do, so we just left, waving to Richard. I had wished I had keys to the church so I could let him in to wash up and use the bathroom.

As we were driving away, Dave and I were both lost in our thoughts. But here are mine. I tend to get so wrapped up in my problems that I forget how blessed we are. I'm worried about having too much food to eat, and here was a in my face reminder that there are others who only wish they had the same problem.

Thank you Heavenly Father for all that I've been blessed with. Thank you for that reminder, given at just the right time. Please bless our friend Richard. Amen.

5 comments:

peebugg said...

even though you just made me teary on a Friday---

AWESOME JOB YOU TWO!!!

I too get too wrapped up in my issues and then when I get an eye opener...I am thankful for all the wonderful things I have been blessed with...

p.s. you know I would support you in any decision you would make on the weight thing--but I think it's the "Big Guy Upstairs" that doesn't have that surgery in your life plan..and there must be a reason for it!! you are way too precious to all of us to risk it!!

SalGal said...

I was blessed to be able to have that surgery 11 years ago. Although I have gained back all and then some, I would do it again if time ran backwards!

That said, it sounds like PeeBugg is right. It wasn't so common back when I had it done and I think it may have been safter then. These days, EVERYBODY'S doing it and I think that makes for a lot of errors or carelessness on somebody's part because I have not met one other person since 1995 that had that surgery and walked away with no complications. A friend of mine just lost a friend of hers due to complications from it. They nicked her aorta and didn't become aware of it until it was too late. That gal was in her 30's with two beautiful girls. You do not want this to happen to you!

I came home from my stay in UT and did really well for the first week, but now I'm going through a hard spot (psychologically) and my new good habits have gone to crap. I really have loved the comments you've made at the Chronicles blog and I know this is something we can tackle together!

You rock, E, and I know you can do it!

G.W. Mama said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog and wanted to tell you that you seem like such a warm, caring and loving person. Please, PLEASE don't get caught up in this "stomach stapling" fad because that is all it is. If Heavenly Father would have wanted our stomachs "re-routed and stapled," wouldn't he have made us this way? (I'm LDS too and live in Mississippi. I am also VERY overweight). I have thought of going that route once and then regained my senses. Focus on the good things in you and be happy with who you are right now. And if you ever want to chat--here's my email: toadvak@yahoo.com
God bless you and your family!

Jody in Mississippi
http://gatorwrestlinmama.blogspot.com/

G.W. Mama said...

Thanks for visiting my blog site! I think my Yahoo bulk section of my email ATE your email to me! Could you PLEASE resend it? Thanks!

Jody

Dave said...

Honey,

You put this better than I could have. My thoughts were indeed wrapped up in his misfortune. Although we may have helped him temporarily, we were unable to make a drastic change in his situation.

I wanted very much to help him, but we had neither the means or ability to do so.

I really feel bad for those like him that are trapped out of doors in this unbearable heat.

I love you very much. I love how you, by nature, want to help others. Even when you are in need of help yourself.

It is an honor and privilege to be married to you.

Love,

Davy