Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

In the past several weeks, we have really been trying to get to know our neighbors. Well, at least the ones on the West side. They are a really nice family, and I've started walking with the wife in the evenings. (Ok...so I've only walked once so far, but it will continue!) A couple of weeks ago, I went over to their house to invite them to a party at over at the church. She came to the door and immediatly invited me in. Not only that, she offered to show me her WHOLE house. And she did. Our houses have just about the same floor plan, so it's always fun to see what other people have done with the space. The thing is, she took me everywhere, even her closet. There was no sign of any kind of mess in ANY room, or closet, or laundry room for that matter. Everything was SPOTLESS! It made me feel like crap! (Because, of course, she wants to come see our house!)

If someone you hardly knew came over to your house, would you feel confidant enough to lead them through every room?? Not me! I told her, in a joking way, but really meaning it, that I'd have to do a LOT of cleaning before she could see ALL my house. I then went home and had a breakdown, cracking the whip at my family for being such slackers. (Of course, I'm the biggest slacker of all. I was really mostly mad at myself. Oh yeah...and PMS didn't help that week either.)

Since then, I have been really working on parts of my house that are the most disturbing. I have cleared off a particularly junky looking bakers rack that was stacked with various stacks of junk. I have mostly cleared off my desk. I have even tackled that big stack of old mail/school papers sitting on the counter in my kitchen. Yes, I even dusted the walls. As I look around, I'm still not happy with how things look. Our carpet is so old, and the walkways are so gross, it doesn't matter how much I vacuum or even shampoo them, they still look HORRID! And the carpet is BLUE! (We didn't pick it out.)

I am trying really hard, but will I ever be happy with my house?? Will my neighbor ever be allowed to venture past the fr0nt room?? Only time will tell.

7 comments:

peebugg said...

a spotless house is a sign of a disturbed mind...

But I'm right there with you....but of course you know that...

Gem said...

My husband told me as we were going to bed last night that a friend and his son were coming over today at 1, so could I clean up the playroom and the family room. I'm thinking "CRAP! And who's going to do the rest of the house?!" LOL. I woke up late, 9:30, had to get the girls to dance camp by 10, came home, cleaned like a madwoman, and was back to pick them up at 12. I told my husband (who was VERY impressed!), I had solved all our housekeeping arguments. He just needs to tell me someone's coming over every couple of days and it will all get done!

Dave said...

I LOVE YOU!

Have a safe trip and have a good time.

The house looks great everyone. DramaMama has been working extremely hard on it, and it looks wonderful.

Di said...

I NEVER let anyone see my room. It is always a mess. It is where we put everything we aren't sure where to put. Thank God for doors!

Bree said...

You know the only reason she let you see all her house was she had just spent the last week in back-breaking labor to clean it all because her mother-in-law came to visit the day before. Lol.

Anonymous said...

Why do we compare ourselves to obsessive compulsive people any way, we are the normal ones here. Love ya cuz,

Lori

GeminiWisdom said...

It seems like the only time we really clean is when someone is about to come over. I've become a slob since shacking up with my fiancee. And yes, it pisses me off that he thinks we need a housekeeper to come in every two weeks. Every two weeks! I wanna tell him, "You're almost 30, just stop leaving your shit all over the place and we'll be fine. If we need a damn housekeeper every two weeks, we have no business living in a house." Arrrgghhh! Men!