Friday, April 28, 2006

What a Week!

Well folks, it has been one long, eventful week here at our house. I have lived in the car all week, traveling from Dr's appointments to schools to lessons. Here's the lowdown on our situation with The Bear.

After our visit with the other Orthopedic, we still are in about the same boat. This Dr. agrees that Bear will need to be in casts on both legs for between 4 and 8 weeks. Each week we will go in and they'll put on new casts, stretching his calf muscles more each time. He would also like to do Botox injections before the casting to paralyze the muscles from contracting. He semi agrees with the diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy as far as his muscles are concerned, but saying that other things just don't fit.

The neurologist didn't give me much more input than usual. Although both Orthopedic Dr's we've seen say that a muscle biopsy would be a good thing, the Neuro is still holding off on it because it is pretty invasive. He has ordered a new test, a EMG to be done. It will send electicity through the muscles and see how they react. He told me it isn't a very pleasant procedure, so we'll just have to see how that goes.

Originally, the casting was scheduled for next Tuesday, but since they will need access to his legs for the EMG, I postponed it until after. (Which could be 3 - 4 weeks, depending on how long it takes for an insurance approval.)

I am feeling extremely stressed and strung out. We still have no specific answers to what the problem is, but I feel good about going ahead with the casts and braces. I think the casting will be very uncomfortable, especailly since our 100 degree weather will be starting next week. I feel like my head is just crammed full of worry and other goo. I could really use some sleep!


Jillian said...

((((((((Erica and Dave and Bear))))))))

Thanks so much for the update (I've been checking for one!). It must be frustrating not to have definitive answers. At the same time, it sounds like they've come up with a short-term procedure that can benefit his legs.

May you have PEACE and RESTFUL SLEEP tonight, because you surely do need it!

Jami said...

So sorry to hear about everything going on with The Bear. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

We love you!


peebugg said...

The tests sound horrible....but most of the tests done on the boyd are.......but if they can help with the treatment--well worth it.

On the casts.....hopefully he will get to pick out some cool colors or help him thru it all...and maybe dad can do some awesome art work on them too...

hugs to you guys........

cmhl said...

so sorry-- have you had a 2nd opinion? 3rd and 4th? we have gone through LOTS of testing with my oldest, with still no clear diagnosis. I'm sorry you are having to go through this!!