Sunday, January 15, 2006

Review

I was up North this weekend for a scrapbook party, and on my way back I stopped in Payson at the $1 store to walk around and wake myself up. I LOVE dollar stores! I love to load up my cart with cheap crap, or even better, stuff that used to be more expensive, but somehow finds it's way to dollar store shelves. On this visit, I loaded up on packages of photo paper, "silver" frames and.........children's books written by Madonna. I am not a big fan of Madonna, never have been. So when she announced she was going to write children's book, my first thought was...WHATEVER! I would never pay full price, or even Amazon price to check them out, but for a buck, ok.

Her first book was "The English Roses". It's about a group of little girls who won't befriend another, more beautiful, girl and judged her for it because of their jealousy. I thought it was ok, but it had definite "autobiographical" undertones. Madonna..Jealousy is not the reason I don't like you. I think you're a hoochie mama. Oh dear..I guess that's judging. Sorry!

The other book is called "Mr. Peabody's Apples". I thought the premise for this story was good, but didn't care for her take on it at all. It also has those same "autobiographical" tones. The story is about a boy who spreads rumors about Mr. Peabody that were untrue. Madonna...I can only hope that all the stories we hear about you aren't true. But, alas, some of them are bound to be! YIKES!

Anyway, if you'd like a copy of these two books, hit your nearest Dollar Tree store! By the way...the illustrations were great in both!

8 comments:

Dave said...

La la la

Like a wordsmith... writing for the very first time!

la la la

I wrote children's books 'cause I couldn't get published in.. Vogue vogue vogue.

HARRRRR! LOL

peebugg said...

lol......

I had heard she was writting those, but haven't seen them yet. They had photo paper at a dollar store??? man....you get all the luck...

I'm thinking she was thinking about some thing other than Mr. Peabody's apples....

The Newsbitch said...

Heya! I just found you via BE and thought I would say how brilliant (and well-designed!) your blog is.

The English Roses in a dollar store? Err...

I'd be interested to read that. Kind of refrained from flicking through in the bookstore.

Nazrul Mohtar said...

My wife bought The English Roses for my daughter, only to realise later, it was by Maddie. The publicity wasn't all that great over here, but guess it's not exactly her target market.

The book was ok, I guess. Just had the feeling that it was a wee bit superficial and long-winded, for what it is. And I absolutely agree on the "autobiographical" aspects.

On the plus side, the illustrations were good; and the pages have so far survived my daughter's stickers (or 'stickles' as she calls it) craze. Hooray for glossy paper.

monica said...

LOL... I LOVE THE DOLLAR STORE... my son still thinks it's like "heaven" cause he gets to pick out a few things...LOL.. I love it. :)

monica said...

PS I am a HUGE scrap booker! Too bad I live on the east coast! LOL...do you sell or just participate a lot?

Jade said...

Interesting about Madonna's books. Not sure that even at a dollar, I would buy them, but I loved reading your review!

I love dollar stores too! Been looking into getting into scrapbooking, but have no idea where or how to start...*sigh*.....

Bree said...

Waaa! I wish I knew you had been up here! :)