Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Sweet Boy

My son, Kayden, attends a Special Education Pre-school. He has really excelled there and the teachers just love him. There is a little boy in his class who has moderate autism, we'll call him J.J. One of the teachers said that when Kayden isn't there, J.J. is very hard to deal with, but when he is there, the little boy is much calmer. Today, as I dropped Kayden off at school, his teacher pulled me aside and told me about what happened at school yesterday.

Some of the kids were building towers with blocks, seeing how high they could build. They had the tower really high, when along came J.J., who swung a toy at the tower, knocking it down. The children began to yell at J.J. for ruining their tower. As the teachers came in to calm them down, one looked over at Kayden who was sitting at a table, watching the event. Kayden just looked over and shook his head, saying:

" Those kids don't understand J.J. like me. He's not trying to be naughty, he is just trying to play."

The teacher told me she felt like she had a wise little man sitting there, instead of a small 4 year old boy. We both had tears in our eyes as she told me. She had mentioned the incident to J.J.'s mom yesterday, and the mom wanted to be sure that I heard the story.

I'm very glad to know!

22 comments:

Dave said...

Our wise little man is sitting here with me playing a computer game and yelling at the top of his lungs, "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WHO WHO WHO"

No melody, just words... :)

Hubby

Bree said...

:) What a sweet boy. That warms my heart!

Susan Senator said...

This is a beautiful example of how some people just get it, even if they are only four. My son has autism and is nearly 16, and it took me much longer to understand that he is just a kid trying to express himself, but with a lot of difficult neurology in the way! Your son has a great gift, you are blessed.

peebugg said...

Awesome!!! He sounds like a great mentor student.

Pat yourselves on the back, he learned it from you!!!!

Siannorah said...

Sounds like a good kid...

Yolanda said...

What a beautiful story and a sweet boy :)

Dave: I don't know who let the dogs out but I sure wish they'd come and take them back in so my 3 year old could stop singing that song.

landismom said...

What a lovely story, and how proud you must be of him!

SalGal said...

What a sugar booger! Give him a big hug just for being him.

Bond Hunter said...

Beautiful.

A teacher who appreciates your child for his insight, and a little boy who appreciates the differences in his friend.

Whatever you are doing to raise him...don't change a thing. He's on the right track!

But, if you know a way, could you clone the TEACHER? We could use more like her.

chench said...

Now that's an awesome story! Sounds like that boy's got some good parents!

chench said...

Sorry! I mistyped my URL!
http://www.chench.com/thelittlethings/index.php

Anonymous said...

You should send that in to Reader's Digest!

monica said...

Before mommyhood I was a SPE teacher so that brought tears to my eyes... or may be because I'm a mom. Who knows but what a great job you're doing. Applause to you guys and your little one. Kids don't just come out that way! :) Cheers....

Chicka said...

::Sniff:: GIve him kisses from the Goob.

Chicka said...

::Sniff:: GIve him kisses from the Goob.

Joker said...

Been off for a while... back now:-)
*HUGS* form uncle joker to the little one. Hows he doing by the way? Hows the medication?

Barbara said...

That is so sweet. It makes me so proud when I hear stories of my kids playing out the cornerstones of the beliefs I am teaching them at home. You must be a good mom and doing something right. ;)

Jillian said...

What a BEAUTIFUL STORY! What a sweet spirit your little guy has.

Thank you for sharing this -- I LOVE to hear things like that. How proud of him you must be. How BLESSED to be his mom!!

Wait -- this isn't the same little guy who pooped in the tub...?!

Dave said...

HA HA HA

it is LOL

Jillian said...

So, Mom is in charge of expressing the beauty of her child, and Dad is in charge of describing nauseating parenting moments...

Aw, but I always LOVE a good poop story! The ladies in my online community have been known to refer to me as the Poop Queen.

:D

Dave said...

I like to refer to it as "Parental Gravitation".

Moms gravitate to the heart-warming stuff, dads graviate to the many phases of grossdome.

The Bear still wants to pull my finger, I don't even have to ask! :)

Jill said...

Ah, then I must be an anomoly. I revel in sharing the oddities, quirks, and gross stuff.

Your son will be pulling your finger when you're 90 and wearing diapers. Or maybe you'll be pulling his.