Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Dr Woes

Today was Kayden's follow up appointment with his neurologist after his MRI and EEG. There was some good news...both tests were normal! Yea! The bad part is that there is still no explanation for the leg and arm tremors he's been having, along with a few other problems. The Dr. said the tremors could possibly be what are called "essential tremors". He gave me a prescription for Propanolol (Inderal) to see if it will help the tremors. The Dr. also said that his pyruvic acid levels are still high, which could point to a mitochondrial disorder, but he's not sure. We've had three of these blood tests already, all have been high. He wants us to do another blood test to check it again. If it's high, they will probably need to do a muscle biopsy, which doesn't sound pleasant.

I am having issues with starting him on medication for what the Dr. thinks "might" be wrong. I worry about side effects and know that some meds even change personalities. I would hate for this to happen. Do you have any insight on problems such as these? I would love some input if you do.

6 comments:

Joker said...

hope everything is alright soon. will ask my dad who is a doc today and tell you what he says:)

Melanie said...

I am not sure what has been going on with Kayden or his age, as I am new to your blog. But....my daughter went through years of tremors(arms and legs) and hospital stays and everything was normal. Finally she was diagnosed with "conversion reaction", a rare....I hate to say mental disorder, because she is not mentally impaired, but that is what officially is. It was just a nasty side effect of perfectionism, lol. Anyway, probably not the case but wanted to share and let you know, I feel your frustration. Good Luck.

Frankie said...

Wow. Good luck!

peebugg said...

I am still surfing for answers. I will keep looking.

Give the lil sprout a hug for me.

kmyers said...

I'm new to your blog. Hope all goes well. How old is Kayden? I'm a Parent volunteer and Parent Advocate on the Advisory Board for Healthy Families in this region. The next meeting isn't until late October, but I'll be happy to ask if they've heard of any similar symptoms.

Trudie said...

Hi, Before giving Kayden the medication, maybe you could look up the side effects online. I always did when giving my kids any meds. With the bad side effects of recent medications, I would hesitate, too. My grandson (Jayden)has developed Autism (PDD) possibly from his baby shots. Wish you the best.
(Thanks for stopping by "Amazing" and leaving a comment)