Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Did You Know??

Here's something new I learned this week. Try it out and see if it works!

Did you know you can store fresh eggs for up to 2 years without refrigeration? I had no idea, but here's how to do it!

Years ago, sailors on long journeys would bring eggs along for protein. How did the eggs stay fresh? Eggs shells are somewhat porous and will let air into the egg inside. As long as you can keep the air from getting in, the eggs will stay fresh.

Here's how to do it! Take the eggs out of their cartons and coat them completely with Vaseline. It doesn't have to be a thick coating, but every bit of the egg must be covered. Replace them into their cartons with the big side up. Store the cartons in a closet, under the bed, or anywhere else you have room. Styrofoam cartons work best, but if you can't find them, line the cardboard cartons with plastic wrap to protect them from the Vaseline.

To use an egg, put a little dish soap on your hands and rub it all over the egg. Rinse with warm water while wiping the egg clean. Only clean as many eggs as you want to use.

If you want to be sure that your egg is still fresh before eating it, simply drop it in a bowl of water. If it sinks, it's fresh. If it floats, some air has gotten inside the shell and you should discard the egg.

A good friend of mine tried this out, storing her eggs for 6 months in her daughters closet. Of the dozen she stored, only 2 were bad. She was hesitant to use them, but said they tasted fine.

Try it out! Let me know what happens!

10 comments:

SalGal said...

Oh my gosh, that is so disgusting I think I might have to try it!!

Helen said...

Wow! That is extremely interesting. I think I might have to have a go at it myself!
Peace..........

Whiskee River said...

Apart from Nuclear fall out, I cant think of one reason to store an egg. What am I missing?

Ms Mac said...

I'm a little bit with Hugh on this! Is there something you know that we don't? An international egg shortage perhaps?

But, my boys would love to try this!

Bill said...

Sounds interesting. You would think that if food will go bad in your freezer; eggs would really go bad in your closet. Hey, I've heard stranger things.

Thanks for the tip.

timezero said...

That's just awesome.

drama mama said...

I went to a class on emergency prepardness. I guess if there were some natural disaster or something, stored food might be important. This way, you can still have your sunny side up eggs in the morning!

Q said...

Interesting idea, but I think I probably won't eat it if I try this : P

Thanks for the info tho!

london cokehead said...

Cool , I'll bear that in mind in these long and hard day's ahead during the egg famine ..

Come back chickens we really didn't mean it , honest !!!

Still one day they will return ...

Chin up all , we know it's tough out there without the chucks !!!

Sad times ...

:(

thordora said...

if nothing else, you'd have a stash for halloween!